Monday, February 1, 2010

Voy a hacerlo!

It was fish trap day today, and instead of skiing out there, I decided to take the new snowmobile that was donated to the HFF.
It is only about a 7 mile ride out to the traps, and the trail is groomed most of the way, but I was very nervous!
After Brad got it started for me (I had tried to, but just couldn't), I made my way out there, and immediately missed skiing. The snowmobile, although much quicker, was so loud and bouncy that I could not take my eyes off the road to enjoy what was aroud me! My neck also got incredibly, painfully cold, although my hands stayed toasty warm with heated handles.

When I arrived at the traps, I began turning the snowmobile around to park it, but must have pushed on the brake, because I went head first over the hood! I was not hurt, just embarresed, because snowmobiling is supposed to be easy..right?

At the fish traps, after manhandling the 60 pound gate that shuts off flow to the trap and smashing my fingers between the gates, 8 young of the year rainbow trout, 3 whitefish and 1 brook trout. I also observed a pair of trumpeter swans and fresh otter tracks. I love seeing what is coming upstream from the Henry's Fork into the Buffalo! It is like Christmas, in that you never know what you are going to find, and you can't peak prior!

After measuring the fish and returning them to Buffalo, I walked up the steep slope to my sled and prepared to go home. I got it started right off the bat and made it home in one piece.

1 comment:

  1. Be careful on that snowmobile, Annie!
    Reading your description of the winter landscape there makes me homesick. . . .
    xo! j

    ReplyDelete